Pills Acivir contain the drug Acyclovir (Acyclovir), which has antiviral activity to herpes virus only.
Acivir Pills are used:
- for the treatment of herpes on the lips (oral and labial herpes, “cold on the lips”), which is caused by herpes virus of type 1 (Simple herpes, Herpes simplex), for the treatment and prevention of herpes of babies as well;
- for the treatment of genital herpes (herpes of skin and mucous membranes of the genital organs) primary or recurrent (chronic with periodic exacerbations)), which is caused by herpes simplex virus of type 2 (Herpes genitalis);
- for the treatment of herpes zoster (shingles) of primary or recurrent (chronic with periodic exacerbations)), varicella zoster, which are caused by herpes simplex virus of type 3 (Herpes zoster, Varicella zoster);
for the prevention of relapses (exacerbations) of the all herpes infections during their chronic course.
Treatment of herpetic infections with Acivir pills should be started as early as possible. Treatment is most effective if it is started at the first sign of the disease. In the case of recurrent herpes (exacerbation of chronic herpes) is better to begin treatment when you noticed the first signs of re-herpetic infections (tingling, itching, redness).
Treatment is more efficient with a combination of using pills Acivir inside with local application topically (on the skin lesions) of Acyclovir medicament for topical application in the form of a cream or ointment.
The use of pills Acivir is contraindicated during the allergies, hypersensitivity to Acyclovir and excipients, which are part of the tablet. Acivir pills are carefully prescribe in case of dehydration, as well as for patients with neurological disorders in history (in the past).
Acyclovir can cross the placental barrier. Therefore, the use of acyclovir in pregnancy is possible only by vital circumstances. Appointment of Acivir pills during pregnancy is possible only in life-threatening conditions, when the expected benefit to the mother outweighs the potential future risk to the fetus. Acyclovir go into the breast milk. Therefore, during applying of Acivir pills you should stop breastfeeding.
Do not use pills Acivir prophylactically to patients with impaired renal function if the daily urine output is less than 100 ml.
Acivir pills are taken inside after a meal, dissolving in a glass of water. Throughout the period of application of pills Acivir you need to drink the plenty of water, especially in large doses.
For the treatment of herpes infections caused by herpes type 1 (oral (labialis) herpes (herpes on the lips, “a cold on the lips”)), type 2 (genital herpes)
Acivir pills are used:
- adults 200 mg (1 tablet of 200 mg of acyclovir in the tablet) 5 times a day at 4-hour intervals during the day and 8-hour intervals over night. For example, reception hours: 06: 00-10: 00-14: 00-18: 00-22: 00-06: 00;
- children older than 2 years in the dose for adults;
- children up to 2 years – half the adult dose.