Astelin is used to alleviate the symptoms of allergy. This drug can be used for other medical reasons. Consult the doctor.
What should I tell the doctor before taking this drug?
If you are allergic to Astelin or any other ingredient of this drug.
If you are allergic to the similar drugs, any other medicines, food products or other substances. Tell your doctor about your allergy and its symptoms, such as rash, urticaria, itching, shortness of breath, wheezing, cough, swollen face, lips, tongue or throat or any other symptoms.
Astelin is contraindicated in the following cases:
- To the people with hypersensitivity to the drug ingredients.
- During the whole pregnancy.
- In the period of lactation.ye drops are not prescribed to the children under the age of 4, and the nasal spray- to those under 6.
Astelin is especially not recommended in the first trimester of pregnancy. The breastfeeding must be temporarily stopped, if you take this drug.
Adverse reactions to Astelin
Using Astelin, you should consider the possibility of developing a number of allergic reactions. The most frequent of them include:
- Allergic reactions- skin itching, urticaria, rash.
- Respiratory disorders- sneezing, developing pharyngitis, dry cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, possible bronchospasm.
- Nervous system disorders include headache, prompt fatigability, and periodic dizziness.
- GI disorders- bitter taste, dry mouth, change in taste, sickness, stomachache.
- More rare adverse reactions to Astelin include tachycardia, myalgia and weight gain.
Some patients using nasal spray feels drowsiness, irritation, dryness, burning or increasing itching of nasal mucous membranes, rarely fixed bleedings.
The use of eye drops can cause irritation of the conjunctiva, less frequently- dryness, watery eyes, pain or sense of foreign object in the eyes, swelling.
Even less common side effects are: keratitis, chemosis, corneal erosion, bleeding, violation of visual functions, blepharitis.
Interaction and overdose
Astelin increases the sedative effect of alcoholic drinks and drugs suppressing CNS.
Cimetidine used together with Astelin, increases concentration of the main active substance in blood. Ketoconazole doesn’t allow determining a concentration of Astelin.
The overdose is fixed rarely. When it is developing, the patients mostly complain about increased drowsiness. The treatment involves selection of medications depending on the symptoms of overdose.